Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto’s name trended on Twitter, March 18, Wednesday. The first-time mayor received recognition and admiration from the Filipino netizens for his notable actions in combat the COVID-19 coronavirus.
As the enhanced community quarantine imposed by the national government, Mayor Vico Sotto made sure his presence felt by the people of Pasig City.
In less than a couple of weeks, he set the standard high as a public servant. He is proactive on his Facebook Page, giving important updates to the Pasiguenos. Below are some of the remarkable actions by Mayor Vico Sotto, summarized by Martin Cervantes:
Implementation of leeway for alternative transport for front liners and medical staff.
- Reoriented use of Bikes for front liners
- Initiated Ordinance No. 07 Anti Panic Buying and Anti Hoarding (the 1st city to do this)
- Purchased Disinfectant drones
- Purchased 400,000 food packs for constituents (without his face or name on the packs)
- Purchased at a discount (managed expenses), vitamins to be provided to constituents
- All City Hall Employees (regular and contractual) will be PAID FULL salaries during ECQ
- Assisted by its constituents for a voluntary quarantine facility
- Initiated a disinfection area at City Hall
- Initiated a mobile kitchen for constituents
- Implementation of a RISK ASSESSMENT for plans rolled out
As the country is facing COVID-19, a public servant like Mayor Vico Sotto is like a silver lining in this time of crisis.